JASSO: Japan Student Service Organization for International Students
The Japan Student Service Organization (JASSO) is an independent agency to help students to study in Japan. The organization provides information related various scholarships and aid. Also it provides complete program guide and other helpful resources. Here given details about scholarships and aid programs.
Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) provides “Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students” to international students who have got admissions in a Japanese university, graduate school, junior college, college of technology, specialized training college, a university preparatory course designated by Monbukagakusho:MEXT, or Japanese language schools.
- A monthly stipend of ¥65,000.00 is given to graduate school student (Doctoral course, Master's course) and Research student (kenkyu-sei).
- A monthly stipend of ¥48,000.00 is given to Undergraduate student, Junior college student, 4th grade student or upper of College of technology student, Specialized training college Student, Preparatory Japanese language course by private university and junior college student, Advanced course by university, junior college and college of technology student, University preparatory course student, and Japanese language school student.
Duration: 1 year
Students must possess the following items-
- A written recommendation by attending school
- A “College student” visa status is needed
- Adequate GPA (Grade point average)
- Monthly allowance from the family should not go beyond ¥90,000
- The yearly income of the financial backer should be less than ¥5,000,000
Applications for the Honors Scholarship are accepted only via schools. International Students must apply to the school office as per the instruction/direction laid down by the schools. The Schools after screening the applications give recommendation to JASSO that these students are qualified to get a Honors Scholarship.
After its screening process, JASSO informs students about the results through the school.
Student Exchange Support Program (Scholarship for Short-term Study in Japan)
JASSO provides scholarship to international students who are admitted to a Japanese university, graduate school, junior college, 3rd year or upper college of technology or professional training college under a student exchange agreement or other student exchange arrangement on a short-term basis from 8 days to 1 year between Japanese school and their home higher education institution overseas, referred to as ‘attending schools’.
- Monthly Stipend: ¥80,000
- Duration: 8 days to 12 months
Students with following qualifications are eligible to apply for this scholarships program-
- Students registered in a regular course/programme in a higher education institution abroad
- Students admitted by Japanese school under a student exchange agreement or other student exchange arrangement with their attending school.
- Students having outstanding academic and personal records at their attending school
- Students not having the financial resources to study in Japan
- Students qualified for 'College Student Visa'
Applications for the scholarship are received only through Japanese school. Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) carried out the screening of the applications and documents submitted. After thorough inspection, the final results are sent to the Japanese schools.
The recruiting period and selection ways and means of exchange students differs are by each school and each course/program. To know more about the program, contact the Japanese school or attending school.
For latest updates visit official website of JASSO