Admission Requirements for Colleges of Technology in Japan
College of Technology, or kosen are higher education institutions that provide five-year courses/programmes to lower secondary school leavers. College of Technology accepts international students from third year onwards.
The Institute of National Colleges of Technology (Kosen) conducts the ‘Common Selection Exam’ for all the colleges of technology throughout the whole nation.
You are eligible for admission into College of Technology in Japan, if you have satisfied one of the following below mentioned criteria--
- 11 years of school education overseas must be completed by the students.
- An academic qualification examination equivalent to the completion of 11 years of schooling abroad must be passed by the student.
- An international qualification like the French or International Baccalaureate and Abitur (Germany) must be completed by the pupils.
- 11 years of school education at International Schools accredited by an International accrediting/evaluation authority such as ACSI, WASC or ECIS, established in Japan must be completed by the pupils.
- Students must have passed an entrance examination equivalent or higher than upper secondary education.
For Students having less than 11 years of school Education-
Such students must have completed a preparatory course at a recognized University which are authorized by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, or courses at training universities/facilities.
Step 1: Request information bulletin and application form from the Institute of National College of Technology
Step 2: Apply for Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU). (For International Students)
Step 3: Fill in the application form and send it along with the necessary documents to the Institute of National Colleges of Technology.
Step 4: Take the examination
Step 5: After Institute of National Colleges of Technology (Kosen) receives the application form and documents, screening is done based on the set criteria.
Step 6: Results are declared after thorough processing of all the application. Results are made available on the Kosen website. Check the website! Also, successful candidates will receive an email indicating the same.
Step 7: Receive the Application Acceptance email. Fill in the necessary additional documents and send them back to the Institute of National Colleges of Technology (Kosen) on time.
Step 8: After successful completion of the Step 5, you’ll get the ‘Admission Letter’.
Step 9: International Students will get a ‘Certificate of Eligibility’ from the Ministry of Justice for a residence status. Then pay the required amount of fee. Apply for visa and look out for accommodation.
The application form for admittance to College of Technology in Japan is standardized.
- Application form
- Examination Voucher and Photo: College of Technology-Specific exam voucher
- Upper Secondary School Graduation Certificate and transcripts
- Resident Card Copy
- Scores of Standardized tests: EJU scores, English language test scores- TOEFL, IELTS or TOEIC.
- Evidence of Financial Backing- Can be bank statements or other financial documents
- Medical Certificate: for students who wish to attend Maritime Technology course.
Assessment Ways and Means
The final decision of admissions is based on the following items-
- Application Form- The information filled in the application form is being scrutinized.
- Standardized tests scores- EJU (Examination for Japanese University Admission ) exam
- English language proficiency Transcripts- TOEFL, IELTS or TOEIC
- Interview: The main objective of interview is to know about you more closely, as that is not known by your grades or exam scores. Prepare for some common questions such as why this course, or College, area of interest, your strengths and weakness, future plans, and so on. It’s a golden opportunity to gain admittance so, just put your best foot forward candidates!